The ISIS militants abducted 88 Eritrean Christians from a
people-smugglers’ caravan in Libya last week, a U.S. defense official
The defense official confirmed initial reports of the mass kidnapping
after seeing a recent intelligence report. The convoy was ambushed by
militants south of Tripoli before dawn this past Wednesday morning.
Meron Estafanos, the co-founder of the Stockholm-based International
Commission on Eritrean Refugees, said that the group of migrants
included “about 12 Eritrean Muslims and some Egyptians. They put them in
another truck and they put 12 Eritrean women Christians in a smaller
Estafanos said that the militants had initially stopped the truck and
demanded that the Muslims on board make themselves known. Everyone who
responded was asked about the Koran and their religious observance in an
attempt to catch Christians pretending to be Muslims.
The main body of the group was put back on the original truck. As the
militants drove the vehicle away, at least 9 men attempted to escape by
diving off the back of the truck. Estefanos said 3 of those who had
escaped were safe, but still trying to get out of Libya. The fate of the
others was not known.
Libya has become a jumping-off point for thousands of migrants from the
Middle East and sub-Saharan Africa who attempt the dangerous
Mediterranean crossing to southern Europe. However, Libya’s ongoing
instability has led to an increased presence by ISIS and other terror
groups, increasing the risk for Christians and other non-Muslims
attempting the crossing.
Source: Libya Herald newspaper