Michael Khumalo allegedly first drank a pesticide last month in a failed suicide attempt and hanged himself on Tuesday.
Brunapeg councillor Mrs Thapelo Ngwenya confirmed the incident.
She said Khumalo’s body was found hanging by his 13-year-old nephew who was coming from school.
“A man from my area committed suicide by hanging himself at his brother’s homestead which is a few metres from his own home.
“Khumalo first tried to kill himself by drinking a pesticide last month after testing HIV positive. His mother found him on time and he was rushed to the hospital,” she said.
Mrs Ngwenya said after the failed suicide, Khumalo allegedly always indicated that he would end his life as he was not prepared to live with his HIV status.
“His relatives suspect that Khumalo committed suicide on Tuesday morning. He prepared breakfast for his grandmother who stayed with him and then left without notifying anyone.
“It is assumed that he proceeded to his brother’s homestead while he was away and hanged himself there. His nephew who had gone to school returned to find his uncle hanging from the roof in the living room and alerted elders,” she said.
Mrs Ngwenya said villagers were shocked that Khumalo decided to commit this horrific act in his brother’s house.
Source – chronicle